Sunday, September 16, 2012

Butterscotch Brownies


Butterscotch Brownies
Submitted by Gail Kelley

Gail Kelley has been making these butterscotch brownies since 1958, when she was given a Betty Crocker cookbook for a wedding present.  That is 54 years!  Gail alters the recipe, by using butter instead of shortening, and walnuts instead of pecans.  I had the pleasure of tasting one of her scrumptious butterscotch brownies.  IT WAS DELICIOUS!

Ingredients:

1/4 cup shortening
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 egg
3/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup pecans, chopped

Directions:

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. 

Grease and flour an 8 x 8 x 2 inch square baking pan.

In a large saucepan, melt the shortening over low heat.  Once melted, remove from the heat and stir in the light brown sugar.  Cool mixture. 

Add 1 egg, and stir until combined.

Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together.  Add the flour mixture to the saucepan, and stir with a wooden spoon until well blended.  Stir in vanilla and chopped pecans.

Spread in prepared pan. 

Bake for 25 minutes.

Cool brownies, before cutting into bars.

Recipe submitted by Gail Kelley

3 comments:

  1. I was raised on this recipe (except we use butter instead of shortening)! I am not a chocolate fan, but I love brown sugar and caramel flavors. I made this on special occasions for my kids and one of my sons prefers this over cake for his birthday. I can eat the whole pan - Yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So these aren't butterscotch browniea? No butterscotch or chocolate chips, but pecans instead? I think this recipe is under the wrong title and intro, though it seems good for a pecan dessert bar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what the betty crocker cookbook named them. So I guess you could add different things not just butterscotch chips

      Delete